Monday 14 January 2013

Soup

I used to make a big pot of veggie soup every
week. I always have guilt because I am just 
like my gramma. I don't love fruit and veggies.
It is a forced effort to get those pesky 
things in during the day. I have been eating
fairly healthy since returning from holidays and 
you can even make a healthy food plan 
but not get the essential greens in per day.

example: cereal for breakfast, coffee, 
yogurt and berries with bran for snack, perhaps
a salad with chicken for lunch, smoothie for snack,
grilled chicken, veggies and quinoa for supper.
That is a fairly healthy day BUT is it enough
veggies?!?!?! Nope.

About 2 years ago I bought a blendtec blender. It was
an investment for sure. It rang in around $550 and it was
worth every penny. I have used it at least 3 times per
week {on slacker weeks} and when I'm really 
aiming for those veggies I blend at least once a day.
My favourite always has some orange in it. I find citrus
cuts the "earth" out of the veggies. 

Anyways, I've been writing out a food log similar to 
what they use at herbal magic {yup, been there} and 
Bernstein {been there too}
They had sheets to record your daily food log.
On those sheets of paper they have little circles with 
the type of food eg. veggies has 4 circles, starch has 2, 
protein has 2, dairy has 1.
Well I'm certainly not being that restrictive but I've 
started to do the same thing for myself. That way it
is easy the night before to write down what your
intentions of eating the next day and if you
are getting the essentials in. It has been helping
because although it's always nice to go for the 
orange or apple which is still healthy, perhaps the
bag of veggies is what you actually need.
I made a big pot of veggie soup the other day with a 
can of spicy diced tomatoes which adds just the right
amount of zing to make it super tasty!
Here goes a week of veggie obsession {and
hopefully not too many runs to the bathroom!} 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment