Wednesday 30 January 2013

Principal

Okay I'm going on a banking rant.
We got our yearly mortgage statement in the mail
yesterday which normally I would just file away.
Instead, I decided to actually take a look and be proud
of our progress. Well then I noticed that indeed we did pay
$22,000 off last year, to then realize that
60% of that was interest and only 40%
was principal. Ummmm WHAT!
I knew that mortgages paid a ton of interest to the
bank but I was hoping it was even closer to 
50/50 or 60/40 in our favour! 
Well then I looked into my student loan.
SAME THING!
That's it! I don't want to let our
earned money go straight into the banks pockets!
Time to smarten up!

1 comment:

  1. It's disgusting isn't it?? then when you think about the interest on all your loans/credit cards, almost 40% income tax, property tax, GST ect ect ect it starts looking like about 20/80......:( but you recognize this and that's a great first step!!

    ReplyDelete